My beautiful Babies

Friday, September 18, 2009

School and Dance

Caleb started his second year of preschool on Monday. The first day went well thanks to him knowing one of the teachers and a few of the kids. He went in, a little shy as usual. Once the kids went outside, he was great because he got to make "stinky garbage" from the mulch on the playground with his friend Ty. They seem to really like playing together, so I am so glad that they are in the same class again this year. It made the transition so much easier...or so I thought...(see below)

.....onto our second day of preschool...
The second day of preschool was also the second day for Ellery to have dance class. My mom got to take her to her first day :( (good for grandma, sad for mommy) because mommy had to work. So, this was mom's first day seeing her little girl dance. It was so sweet seeing her with little dance shoes, just like momma used to do...However, that was the problem with Caleb.
Ellery said that morning before we left for school, "Mom, you and I are going to dance class and Caleb is going to school by himself".....can you imagine what went through Caleb's head....well I'll tell you what went on at school that morning.
We arrived at school, I got Ellery out and was attempting to get Caleb out of his car seat while he was kicking at me and saying "I don't want to go to school" Well, I've heard that before and I have the policy of ignoring the comment. Last year, that worked out well. He would say he didn't want to go, but once we got into the classroom, he was fine.
Well, wednesday that was NOT the case. I carried him into the school and wouldn't you know that I chose that day to be EARLY to school...so I had to sit with a screaming-and I mean SCREAMING to the point that the other kids waiting to get into school were covering their ears screaming-kid who was fighting me so hard that I was sweating from restraining him. Finally, they opened the door (thank God-but I am sure they were just so looking forward to opening the door to the screaming) and I brought him in-still screaming and handed him off to the teacher and I headed out the door. Theresa, his teacher from last year, took him from me and he sat on her lap for the beginning of class. I stayed by and watched for a while, he did seem okay.
One of the other moms was staying to be a helper for the class and she told me today that he did fine once the class started. When I picked him up that day, he said school was "good" and today when I took him, there was only a slight 'I don't want to go' that happened. He seems to enjoy school, but almost doesn't want to admit it to me for fear of hurting my feelings or something. The assistant at school who works in the office told me that the "I dont' wanna go" didn't end for her daughter until 4th grade-someone HELP ME if that happens with Caleb!!!! He is always good when I pick him up and he is usually smiling and playing nicely when I stop by to observe (unnoticed of course). Hopefully he will realize that school is cool and start to LOVE it. That's my goal!

Ellery, however, went right into her class and sat down without any prompting from me. She didn't always listen to what she was supposed to do, but she did pretty well for never having been in school before. She seems to LOVE her teacher "Miss Heather" and I think she really likes tap shoes. I had her try them on for dad at home later that night and she was just tapping away. I hope she enjoys dance as much as I did.


Here's how we found him one night. With headphones, no shirt, showing off his cool frog tatoo-catching flies...
Caleb LOVES to make art projects. This was a self portrait. I think it's pretty darn cute-close resemblance-no?

Dad's birthday. Caleb and mom made him a chocolate cake, but it wasn't a surprise because Dad came home from work early that day-naughty!!

At the Burnsville Fire Muster Celebration. We didn't get to go to the parade this year, but we did get to check out a few fire trucks and eat some mini donuts. They had a band, but Caleb said it was too loud. He didn't want to stay there for too long. Ellery was having fun dancing to the music, so we had to stay for a little bit. The mosquitos were out in full force by the time we left, so we decided against staying for the fireworks.

No comments: